March 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/11/08

Anderson will be joined in the Election Center tonight by the best political team on television to talk about Mississippi primary results.

We'll also look at the Eliot Spitzer story.  New details about his alleged meetings with prostitutes emerged today, but New York's Governor has still not resigned his office.

Tuesday night bonus: Two live hours of 360°. And two hours of the live blog. We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and go through midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Judith Haden

I don't need any commentator to tell me what to think about the Gov's wife's appearance....my first thought was, what the heck? why is she standing there next to him, pretending to support him? She should have stayed at home watching TV with their kids, being a good parent, and not pretending....

March 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  2. Laurel MN

I don't tihnk AC meant that we should support them regardless of their behavior...but standing by your family is the key..I tihnk if it were a woman who cheated or was caught in a prostitution ring...a husband would stand by his wife...does that make him weak? and a puppet so to speak?

March 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  3. Molly Minnesota

I actually love the fact that the conversation about Spitzer has turned to focus on why the hell women stand by their man in a such a public forum. However, I do agree that when there are children involved there is something to say for family unity in crisis. Mrs. Spitzer looked absolutely shell shocked and while she may have had little choice in showing up, she didnt look exactly "supportive" of the behavior of her husband.

Mr Gersovitz needs to relax, it is our business when it comes to the lives of publicly elected officials. Looks like you were a little defensive in a personal way.

March 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm |
  4. Michael McHenry Columbia, Pa.

Gotta love when two members of the panel talk at the same time. It reminds me of a Democratic debate as of late. (The same affect takes place as well....I have no clue what they actually said)

March 11, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  5. Greg S. in Chicago

Why does Lisa Bloom assume that the wife is being humiliated? She didn't do anything wrong. It seems to me to be incredibly compassionate when she doesn't have to be. I assume she loves her husband, and if you really love someone, is it so impossible to believe she would want to support him – even if his humiliation is his own fault?

March 11, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, Ohio

Anderson, I agree with your statement about Silda Spitzer. I think she is doing it for the good of the children. Unlike Spitzer himself, she feels an obligation to her family. I commend her for that.

March 11, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  7. Anish Simon

I dont understand what the pannel is talking about. Silda, the governers wife did what she thought was right. What is that lady in the pannel taling about. Its not her business to dictate how families do heir public appearanes. I think she is an arrogant woman who happend to have so much bitterness in her life. I am not saying that the governor was right, he is a moron by cheating his wife – but allow that woman to do what she wants to do.

March 11, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  8. Linda Shoub

Alan should keep his big mouth shut !! Who the hell is he to be telling any woman to mind her own business ??? Let that little twirp say it to another man !

March 11, 2008 at 11:14 pm |
  9. Lesli

The time has come for husbands and wives to choose what is best for their marriage. I believe standing up with a husband whose done something sexually wrong is the best thing for the future of a marriage. I would stand up with my husband, and I would hope that if I ever did something that disappointed him, he would stand up with me. People need to stand up for each other in their marriage.

They need to give 100% to it. That's the only way it will ever work.

March 11, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  10. Betty

The next time you show a projection of the possible outcomes in the primaries/caucuses to come will you please include what the numbers will be when Barack Obama takes all of the remaining states.
    Betty
    Reno, Nevada

March 11, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  11. sigmund fraud

Isn't dershowitz pigheaded? he is pitiful. Lisa go for him. level him.

March 11, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  12. Venessa

Oh, that's interesting, Alan D.–now it's all about women making their own choices, etc. Right, and prostitution is a victimless crime.

March 11, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  13. Kathy

You call that a conversation? She was actually screeching! That doesn't help win an argument. Turn her off. She was rude and cut you off a couple of times AC. Well, not only you!

March 11, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  14. C.R.

I find it quite disturbing that members of the media and their invited guests continue to take issue with Spitzer’s actions while at the same time contending that Spitzer’s behavior has not done harm to any individual and is actually a "victimless crime." In our society we look down at women who engage in sex trade work and deem it okay to refer to them with derogatory terms such as prostitute, hooker, and a host of other names that carry extreme negative connotations, especially when they are highly paid sex trade workers like the one allegedly involved in this case. However, the overwhelming majority of people are very misinformed about the realities of sex trade work. These women, whether they are street-level sex trade workers or highly compensated sex trade workers working for well organized agencies like The Emperors Club, are indeed victims! Research consistently demonstrates that many of the women who engage in this industry have a history of abuse, especially childhood sexual abuse. We (society) like to view sex trade work as something that one makes a conscious decision to engage in and that it is a choice that is typically driven by their greed for easy money or promiscuity. Although this may be the case for some, it is not the case for the overwhelming majority of women working in this industry. When you have faced a history of abuse and have been taught from a very early age that your body should be used for the sexual gratification of men, engaging in prostitution is not a choice that is made of one's own volition; instead, it is more indicative of a woman who has come to see her victimization as a reality of life that she cannot change. Of course, all women who are sexually abused don't engage in prostitution, and this can result from several other mediating factors (e.g. family support, personal qualities, socioeconomic status, etc.) But the fact remains that there are some women who are not able to break the cycle of abuse, and for those women, I find it very offensive that we as a society cannot see how Spitzer's actions (and those of other men who patronize the sex trade) are indeed harmful to the women whose "services" they purchase. In short, you simply don't take people who are misguided because of their sexual victimization earlier in life and help them along in their downward spiral by reinforcing the message that the only value that they possess lies in their ability to satisfy the carnal desires of another.

March 11, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  15. margie virginia beach virginia

Lisa
    How can you say she didnt have a choice.
    Why dont you ask her your self.
    Why rant and rant- you are showing other woman that you need to whine about standards to get what you wantl.

And yes I am a woman...........a very proud and gracious woman.
    It is his wife decision-drop it Lisa.

March 11, 2008 at 11:13 pm |
  16. Renee

Go Lisa, at least you have the insight to say what you feel! Go Girl!

March 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  17. Lilibeth

Yikes! The discussion betweeen Lisa B. and Alan D.! Very spirited, to say the least!

March 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  18. Brian Persaud

There is so much Hillary hate on this blog . I don't get it. I'm a Hillary supporter but when it comes to the issues, I'd be happy with either. I think if your really voting based on issues, you'll be happy with either to some extent since they don't differ all that much. But just in the couple weeks I've been joining the discussion here, I find that there are always tons of childish remarks aimed at Hillary, and I rarely see any posts from Hillary supporters that bash Obama like that. "Blabber-mouth"? Really? C'mon.

March 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  19. Jennifer - Michigan

Mrs. Spitzer looked miserable there at that press conference. Very sad.

March 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  20. Cindy

Lisa is SO right!! These women are dumb to stand by there man when they did no wrong.

Anderson is wrong that we should circle our wagons. That is just saying the men have the right to treat their wives as they please and the women will take it.

Cynthia, Ga.

March 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  21. Lauren

Amen, Lisa, women need to stop standing my their men. It's time for women to stand on their own.

March 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  22. Mrs. D

The Catholic religion states that marriage is til death do you part. Unfortunately that even means through infedility. But I certainly wouldn't stand next to my husband as he announced his infidelities in public. That stance would be more humiliating to me.

Just my opinion though.

March 11, 2008 at 11:12 pm |
  23. Denise, Atlanta GA

Get Alan off this program; he is totally missing the point. He is allowing his personal friendship to cloud his judgment about Spitzer

March 11, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  24. Lostfigs

WOW!!!!!!!! lol.... That's got to hurt!!!!

March 11, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  25. Ryan

I think there should really be some attention on the fact that Spitzer was a firm Clinton Supporter. It would only be fair since the Clintons put all the emphasis on the bad apple in Obamas past that he had to cut loose, I don't remember his name though.

March 11, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  26. Jolene

Oh no....I'm hearing yelling....

March 11, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  27. donna

What was the actual number of blacks that voted in tonights election?

March 11, 2008 at 11:11 pm |
  28. Lesli

Okay, so I was just listening to the piece about Fererro saying that Obama was in the lead because he's black and then John shows his maps and says that 90% of the black's voted for Obama.

Does that sound like the blacks vote in Mississsippi where I believe there are a large number or percentage of blacks did in deed put Obama in the lead.

What did she say that was so wrong? John in effect just gave the numbers to support her statement.

March 11, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  29. Rus, Fla.

I live in Florida, and no one in the national media is really telling the whole story about what happened with our primary elections. Our governor knew the Dems would lose their delegates if our primary was moved forward. He also knew that many Dems would not bother to vote if they knew their votes wouldn’t count. Finally, he knew that if Dems did go to the polls for the primary, they would vote down his pet project that was conveniently placed on the same ballot: a property tax amendment that raids the coffers of our school systems, bankrupts city and county governments, and affords out-of-state landlords a hefty tax break on their rental properties in Florida. He moved the primary ahead of the DNC’s deadline, hauling in loads of Republican voters and discouraging Dems from voting. Look at the numbers: Dems didn’t vote. This is a pretty hot topic of conversation in Florida; I’m really surprised the media outside Florida either haven’t heard or have largely ignored the story.

March 11, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  30. Stu

Go Dershowitz! Tell it like it is. Selective prosecution! Where are all the other johns? They are'nt getting prosecuted for same "crime"?

March 11, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  31. Ken Alan

Who's fooling who ? Lets talk about the 800 lb. gorilla in the room.
    Who can say that this man had a rosy, happy very sexual fertile life at home at this point in his life. It's easy to understand how a man can possibly be dealing with a very frigid and limited sexual immignation in his wife. She stands there purposely looking like the victim unlike any other wives of a cheating politician who had to make apologies on national television; she purposely looks bad and has succeeded and has convinced everyone that her husband is a cheat. unbeknowst to us she could have very easily and systamaticaly drove him to such deeds. There is always two sides to every coin. At the end of the day he is still a man with sexual desires.

March 11, 2008 at 11:10 pm |
  32. Cindy

I love Jeff Toobin he is the sanest one there on the panels Anderson has!! Well him and Gergin!

Cynthia, Ga.

March 11, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  33. Kate FL

I am here in FL and wanted to say that many people did not vote because we were told votes would not count. I am a white American that supports Obama. I just wanted people to know that white poeple also vote for Obama it is not about race to me. I am a woman and feel that Hillary represents the old and quite frankly, I think that the way she carries on, she would be a great running mate for Mccain since she promotes him so much in my opinion.

March 11, 2008 at 11:09 pm |
  34. Lorie Ann, Buellton, California

Could the second hour of Ac360 tonight talk about other news? Why just repeat the same stories? Oh well, Guess it might be time to click on Amercian Idol..Simon or news?

March 11, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  35. Kitty

The racial numbers John King just gave about MS voters being satisfied with a candidate in the general election other than who they voted for in the primary, simply illustrates the racism by whites in the deep South. Believe me, I am from LA, and have been to MS, and white folks there begrudgingly voted for Clinton (being a woman) because she is white.

Go Obama! Go! If he was purple he'd be incredible.

March 11, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  36. Lauren

If Obama wins the election I’ll do something I never in my life imagined I would do: vote republican. At least McCain has experiance, also no republican can be worse the Bush, who I’m sure will go down as the worst president in America’s history.

March 11, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  37. JDavis Iowa

I lost respect for Hilliary when she didn't leave Bill back when he did the Monicia thing, the same goes for the govener of NY's wife. Leave those cheats and stand alone! Go Obama!

March 11, 2008 at 11:08 pm |
  38. Linda Clary

Please explore the question of why men like Governor Spitzer pay for sex. He's reasonably attractive, well-to-do and powerful. In this day and age of sexual freedom, why on earth would he need to pay for it?

March 11, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  39. Liz

Hillary might win. I wonder how standing by her man will fly if she does. Will love conquer all? Tune in.

March 11, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  40. Michael McHenry Columbia, Pa.

A lot of focus on a little state Aderson? We are the 6th most populated state in the Union. Over 150 delegates at stake. I'm sure you didn't mean little.......

March 11, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  41. Kathy Chicago,Il

Those were interesting stats from John King. There is now a rumble in the Democratic Party. Maybe in these next 4 weeks, those in charge can take a deep breath and chill a bit.

March 11, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  42. Lauren

If Obama wins the election I’ll do something I never in my life imagined i would do: vote republican. At least McCain has experiance. Also no republican can be worse the Bush, who I’m sure will go down as the worst president in America’s history.

March 11, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  43. Tom F

I am one of those Republicans who has serous Obama envy. I wish we could have a candidate half as talented as he. Why Ferraro cannot see his mass appeal transcends race is beyond me.

March 11, 2008 at 11:07 pm |
  44. David C, New York, NY

I don't believe disparaging personal remarks (including name-calling) about either candidate should be permitted on this blog.

March 11, 2008 at 11:06 pm |
  45. jen rose

The car was totaled lucky I didn't get hurt, they said they didn't understand how I was able to walk away from it, when I was checked out at the hospital, I was fine to go home.

March 11, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  46. Lostfigs

I think the reason no one is now willing to support the other is because we are spending too much time attacking eachothers candidate rather then praising our own. I blog all the time (I know, sad) and all I see is "Billary this" and "Obummer that". We need to stop that and go back to talking about the possitive points of the person we support.

BTW.... Go Hillary!

March 11, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  47. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Lisa: I don't know if you remember or not, but not long ago Soledad did an interview with Michelle Obama and Larry King had her on his show so she hasn't been ignored.

March 11, 2008 at 11:05 pm |
  48. MJ

Where to they get the polls from showing the black/white vote? I wasn't polled. I live on the Gulf Coast, white and voted for Obama. I think they polled some of the counties that are primarily black and used those.

March 11, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  49. Melia Mason

I think the Clinton campaign, and more importantly, Hillary Clinton her self, have been more repeatedly more guilty of "dirty" campaign talk than Barack Obama. Concerning the Geraldine Ferraro remarks, I find it amazing that she could make a case with Obama about the support he was given by Minister Louis Farrakahn, emphatically stating that Obama should "reject" his support. Yet, today with Ms. Ferraro, she simply suggested that she was inappropriate in making those comments, rather than "rejecting" her.

March 11, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  50. William Monroe Messer

I am quite baffled as why everyone is calling Obama an African-American. If I am not mistaken his mother is a white woman from Kansas. It seems disingenuous for Obama to be running as an African-American. Is he ashamed of his mother because she was white? Is he ashamed of being half white? Why is the media refusing to cover his family history. Never mind, I know you would not want to do anything that would cause him to get mad at you. All kneel as Obama walks in the room.

March 11, 2008 at 11:04 pm |