March 11th, 2008

Live Blog from the Anchor Desk 3/11/08

Anderson will be joined in the Election Center tonight by the best political team on television to talk about Mississippi primary results.

We'll also look at the Eliot Spitzer story.  New details about his alleged meetings with prostitutes emerged today, but New York's Governor has still not resigned his office.

Tuesday night bonus: Two live hours of 360°. And two hours of the live blog. We'll start posting comments at 10p ET and go through midnight ET.

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mrs. D

bond...excellent point. Stop polling based on race, who cares. Education is definitely more important .

March 11, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  2. Doug Newman

I wonder if Senators Clinton or Obama believe in change enought to restore The Constitution? More pointedly restoring Congress as the lawful body that according to Article 1 "Coins the money and regulate the value thereof" instead of letting a privately owned Corporation called The Federal Reserve bank do it?

March 11, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  3. Liz

I agree Ferraro and Clinton are in cahoots. Neither makes that kind of mistake.

March 11, 2008 at 11:04 pm |
  4. Michael, NC

C Matthews
    Yet again, why are you bashing CNN and the AC team? seriously, watch Fox or MSNBC or heaven forbid C Span. but don't sit and talk junk on the CNN BLOG. doesnt even make sense.

March 11, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  5. Sandy

Shavez – I agree! A win is a win! If Clinton had won she would be spinning all over the place. Notice how quiet the blabber-mouth is tonight. Senator Obama added more delegates to his lead. YES!!

March 11, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  6. Casey

I wish people would stop making the comment that Senator Clinton will say anything to get elected. What politician wouldn't? And I would suggest that Obama supporters start seeing him as a human rather than a god, or they will be sorely disappointed.

March 11, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  7. Maureen T

Crazy drivers in Canada eh? 🙂

March 11, 2008 at 11:03 pm |
  8. Lisa

What happened to Michelle Obama? She was to be on the show tonight. What Happened? You show Chelsa but not Michelle, what gives?

March 11, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  9. julie, ca

I hope this election is not decided on race nor that the media plays it up to be the issue...

March 11, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  10. Brent, Roseville CA

You know...I just have to say...it bothers me when people say that the MI and FL votes should be counted as is. They broke the rules! That's why! Someone PLEASE ask Lanny Davis why Hillary Clinton did NOT remove her name from the ballot in MI like the other Democratic candidates did.

March 11, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  11. heather

I really feel terrible for his daughters.This entire thing is humiliating for them. They go to school and you know everyone knows about the horrible private things he did. Its terrible.

March 11, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  12. Carla Ontario Canada

What can CNN report on Obama, he talks about "Change" but he doesn't eloborate on his plans or he seems to say one thing and changes his mind in another. ie. The NAFTA thing with Canada and also about getting out of Iraq. I can't believe he has gotten this far.
    When I hear Hillary's speeches she is laying out her plans on how to fix things. Even during the debates Obama continuously agreed with Clinton. And please don't compare him with JFK . Inspiration & hope with not fix the problems only solutions will.

March 11, 2008 at 11:02 pm |
  13. Terry Morrison

I am a poll manager in MS. The most often asked question at our polling place today was " If I vote in the Democratic primary will I be able to vote for Republican candidates in November"? It was obvious that there were a lot of Republican voters choosing to take part in the Democratic primary. My gut tells me that they were trying to shoot down Clinton, but I have to admit I have no facts to support that idea. I can say without a doubt that Republicans were switching over for this primary, formfitting their opportunity to take part in the US House republican race.

Terry.

14. bond

Everyone including CNN has pointed out the racial divide in these contests. What about the educational divide? Every exit poll in every state that I've seen shows voters with education (across all color lines) overwhelmingly vote for Obama. What does this say about the Hillary and her supporters? I think people across the country have been voting with their brains and not their race, as contrary to all the news reports!

15. Janna

Chandra, Does the character of a person not matter when you elect them to office? Even if they had an open marriage, he is still a major public hypocrite!

16. Renee

@ Erica: Where are you tonight? You must get rid of that bad computer!

17. John from New York

I find Prof. Dershowitz's comments incomprehensible. His blind loyalty to his former student is stunning. I have to wonder if he has already been paid to represent the Governor. Of course the Governor's actions are criminal, and nobody knows better than the Governor. The assertion by Dershowitz that the criminal statute is seldom enforced against "Johns", , and is only being considered because of political ambition, is complete garbage. I am a police officer in New York State and we routinely conduct sting operations which result in charges against "Johns" for soliciting prostitutes. In fact the names are generally published in newspapers to deter such activity. It is scary to think that Dershowitz is educating our finest future legal minds.

18. Dana

Charles-the Clintons had nothing to do with Geraldine Ferraro's comments anymore than Obama had anything to do with Powers comments. They said they don't agree so why are you asking what they are trying to do?

19. Jo Ann, Ohio

@Brent; I am always relieved when I see David Gergen or Jeffrey Toobin on the panels. They always bring intelligent conversation into the discussions. I wish that there were more commentators like them.

20. Ernie

So what if Geraldine is actually right......
    We are so concerned with Political Correctness that we run the risk of not being able to speak truths

21. C Matthews

OK CNN, Anderson, Wolf, etc. Why does John always have a (far fetched and unlikely) scenario where Clinton wins! Wow, Obama won Wisconsin and Mississippi, and you take up the viewers precious time by showing not one, not two, but maybe three or four scenarios where Clinton somehow miraculously wins or maybe ties Obama. Give me a break – if Hilary would have been leading in delegates, you would have shown how she could wrap up the nomination. The best political team on TV...give me a break. You're all just losers who can't see past race.

22. Kathy

That wasn't lame at all!

23. Megan Dresslar

Oh ouch! That is very scary, I never watch on tv news the shot that car go through the traffic........ oh! that hurts!

24. Proud American

No re-votes in Florida and Michigan will result to McCain's win. Our family will switch to Independent and either vote for Nader or not vote this Nov. at all.

25. jen rose

With the 360 Shot, I have been there and done that and got hit, I had the right away.

March 11, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  26. Michael McHenry Columbia, Pa.

Wow, a reminder of the time a tractor trailer tire bounced over my car on interstate 81. Split second sooner or earlier or a slightly different speed, and perhaps the driver of the van would have escaped damage as I did

March 11, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  27. Liz

African Americans are not the only ones looking for change.

March 11, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  28. Rachel

These two shots of the day...ALMOST better than the one from last night... Although I am partial to the image reminiscent of a tree falling and not hitting a walking passerby...

March 11, 2008 at 11:00 pm |
  29. RobertHN

I believe that it was only a matter of time. The race issue has been floating in the background, unspoken because it is simply "offensive" to much of our population. But spoken or unspoken it has been there. The issue should be addressed, in open debate. Whether it is or is not true, in either case what this says about our country and our political process...

March 11, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  30. Pat

I am deeply offended by Geraldine Ferraro's remarks about Mr. Obama. I do not for one moment believe that she just glibbly let these insensitvie, offensive, denigrating remarks flow from her lips. I believe the Climton's asked her to do it in a desparate attempt to divide the races in the upcoming Pennsylvania election. I used to like the Clintons, but now I see that they are amoral and will do anyithing in a desparate attempt to win. If Hillary gets the democratic nomination, for the first time in my 68 years of life, I will not vote.

March 11, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  31. Jennifer - Michigan

Great shots of the day today. Although it was funny watching you both laughing yesterday.

March 11, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  32. Lilibeth

Wow, The Shots are amazing! Yes, totally made up for last night, Anderson! LOL!

March 11, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  33. Lauren

Much better shots today Anderson. Who was the producer? The people want to know. lol

March 11, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  34. omecka

Sen clinton was one of my favorate people, but lately i cannot express how much i hate the lady! OMG! she will do anything to get elected that shows no dignity at all!

March 11, 2008 at 10:59 pm |
  35. Cindy

So new hour new people? It seems the same ones are on trying to get Anderson's attention every night! Give others a shot!! This hour the "regulars" shouldn't be allowed on!

March 11, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  36. Jennifer - Michigan

WOW, he went right through – unbelieveable!

March 11, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  37. Lauren

I voted for Spitzer but if I oculd take back that vote right now I would. He appears to have spent a lot of time with the Emperor’s Club. Time he probably should have spent working on improving New York State. Spitzer lost support after his first year as governor maybe if he wasn’t spending time with prostitutes he could have had a better first year. Now it is clear he must resign. I have completly lost my faith in Spitzer and look forward to the day when we have a new governor in New York State.

On another note I don’t think FL and MI should re-vote. Clinton won there, it isn’t her fault if Obama didn’t campagin much there. Clinton felt those votes counted and now she should be rewarded for her belief that FL and MI counted.

March 11, 2008 at 10:58 pm |
  38. Sophie

Anyone that thinks race isn't a factor in this campaign is seriously fooling themselves into thinking that way. Its time for a reality check people.

March 11, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  39. Michael, NC

so is the shot going to be worth watching tonight? gotta love the "wah wah wah's" from last night's shot.

March 11, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  40. Ashley, FL

His race has nothing to with how well Obama is doing. its all him! There have been other black men that have run for nomination, they haven't done as well as obama. Obama offers something no one else will, and that is real change.

March 11, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  41. Magda Potter

I completely disagree with the comparison made between Samantha Powers and Geraldine Feraro, as an example of "rancid" campaigns.

Powers is A) not a politiican B) made the comment off the record C) resigned even though it was just a slip of the tongue for which she apologized

Feraro A) career politician B) made in public, premeditated
    C) has not resigned her support of CLINTON

HOW ARE THESE SIMILAR? I agree with Jamal, the way Hillary has waged the campaign is completely malignant and purposefully damaging to Obama, AND not vice versa!

March 11, 2008 at 10:57 pm |
  42. PJ

How many voters have we all seen (especially local politicians) get voted in on name only. Generation after generation. I do think Hillary is riding a lot on Bill's old coat tails. I cringe when she says she has all this experience, back during when her husband was president. If my husband is a brain surgeon, that doesn't mean I'm doing the next surgery... Yea, she was involved more than most first lady's and appreciate that. Laura appears to do nothing. Yea, Hillary worked on Health care, but she wasn't PRESIDENT. I like her, but I cringe when I hear her say she has all this experience...

March 11, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  43. Liz

What do women like about Hillary? I'd sooner vote for Obama's wife.

March 11, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  44. EJ - Ohio

But at the same time, if all the previous white Presidents and lawmakers were born black, do you really think they would've had the kind of fortune and opportunities that they had all their lives?

You can look at it that way too, and then you can realize why Ferraro's statement sounds so silly & completely off.

March 11, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar

Lost figs, You're kind welcome! no you are not crazy either! lol!

March 11, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  46. SM

I think you folks missed two crucial points about the disturbing comments made by Geraldine Ferraro:

i) She made not one, but two comments on this issue. The first was the one referenced on the show. The second was that "I really think they're attacking me because I'm white. How's that?" How come this repeat behaviour wasn't brought up in the discussion?

ii) Ferraro has a history of making these kinds of comments. This is what she had to say about Jesse Jackson: And former representative Geraldine A. Ferraro (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday that because of his "radical" views, "if Jesse Jackson were not black, he wouldn't be in the race." This was on April 15, 1988. Why is someone with a history of racist remarks in such a senior position in Senator Clinton's campaign? How come this wasn't brought up in the discussion?

March 11, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  47. Doug Newman

Just a side note re: Texas...according to your website Obama has won all 38 of the Caucus delegates and 61 of the Primary delegates to Clinton's 65 delegates in the primary so it shakes out...
    Obama 99
    Clinton 65
    I think it would be only fiar to award Texas to Obama don't you?

March 11, 2008 at 10:56 pm |
  48. C. Lowenthal

Between now and the PA primary, we should learn how the delegates from the Texas caucuses be apportioned. When that happens, will Hillary Clinton have won Texas after all?

March 11, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  49. Lostfigs

Billi:

I agree, David Gergen is the only one who makes any sense to me.

Gergen 2008!

March 11, 2008 at 10:55 pm |
  50. Michael

Mr Dirshowitz seems to suggest that the Gov should be given a pass given that the laws regarding Prostitution are simply 'Blue Laws" and therefore moot. Maybe he can publish a list of similarly defunct legislation for the benefit of those who are not as privy.

March 11, 2008 at 10:55 pm |